Sunday, April 16

Why I'm Scared about War with Iran

Oh sure, I'm prime draft- age material, but that's not my big concern with War with Iran. If I was drafted, I'd go somewhere away from the front lines, (which is pretty easy to do when you're college educated). I'm more concerned with the very obvious trouble that war would cause internationally. But that still is not what I am most concerned about.

John Laesch is the democratic opponent of Dennis Hastert this cycle. He's a former intel analyst for the military that specialized in Iran. I'll let him say what my biggest concern with an Iran War:

I can tell you exactly what would happen if we were to strike Iran. First, Iranian military forces would shut down the Straight of Hormuz (the choke point through which 35% of the world's oil flows through) and oil prices would skyrocket to a possible $100/barrel.
Here's a pic he has of the straight in question:
Map of Straights of Hormuz


I am scared of an economic collapse that would make the Great Depression seem just peachy. The only evidence I have of that (right now) is my gut. But you couldn't deny that you feel that too. This, more than anything I can think of in recent memory shows that the Middle East has us by the balls. It's getting to the point where 'little' things like flare- ups of insurgents in Iraq will send oil prices up. And now there's talk of Iran, and I haven't heard anything about this until this morning.

I used to wonder if the W. administration was stupid, or had some uber- secret plan that made sense some how. Now I know they're just stupid. NO GOOD could come from a war with Iran at all. What we should instead do is appeal to the young Iranians who are starting to think this whole "fundamentalist state" business might not be all it's cracked up to be. Laesch again:

Currently, Iran is a divided country. Young Iranians are on-line and curious about the western world while religious and military leaders suppress any democratic ideas and oppose student protests. The youth of this troubled nation represent hope for a Democratic Iranian government and it would be a shame if we let them down by dropping nuclear bombs on their country. An aggressive pre-emptive strike would give Ahmadinejad credibility and draw more support for his radical agenda.
I just hope that the voters do the right thing and elect democrats all over this nation. We need congress to curtail the actions of our monarch- in- cheif. I'd even settle for one house taken over and two years of stalemate. At least a stick in the mud isn't trying to kill anyone.

6 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Diana Rowe Pauls said...

AMEN.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Bubblehead said...

I sorry, but the guy can't even spell "Strait" right... he's gonna need to do better than that if he wants to convince people to vote for him for Congress.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Bubblehead said...

Also, I'm wondering where you got the idea that, if drafted, you wouldn't go to the front lines. Do you have any data to back that up that's not over 30 years old? Don't worry, though, the only people currently calling for a draft all have "D"s after their name, and are interested only in weakening the military. The worst thing that could happen to the military would be to force people like you who didn't want to be there into it.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Vander said...

And this is somehow a good thing, that the military would take people who don't want to fight and send them on a suicide mission? I'm no soldier, but from what I've gathered, troops that want to be there and fight for the cause have higher morale. I suppose that doesn't matter to you though. You might have a tough time finding people that want to go invade Iran (well, besides King George's Court).

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Bubblehead said...

You missed my point -- NO ONE in the military wants a draft. NO ONE in power in the Republican Party is calling for a draft. YOU don't have to worry about a draft unless people like Congressman Rangel (a liberal Democrat), who introduced the bill to reinstate the draft, gets more power.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Vander said...

And you missed my point. I am worried about the horrible damage a war with Iran would do to the world economy and us in particular. There cannot be anything good to come out of that war.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home